Hobbies for Fitness

swellingspreading

Hobbies for Fitness

Post by swellingspreading »

What do fellow falcons do to keep in shape? Personally, I like cycling and body-weight exercises. what about you all?
:hahayes: :hahayes: :hahayes:
mavrodaphne

Re: Hobbies for Fitness

Post by mavrodaphne »

In my 20s I was a distance runner and was always trying to bust my ass on weights/machines at the gym. Fast forward like fifteen plus years and I can get roughly the same effects and appearance, give or take several factors (I'm over a decade older, I no longer have an eating disorder, I've had several children, and I am with those children 24/7 so I can't fuck off to the gym or go on a 2 hour run, nor will I likely go to a gym again for the foreseeable future due to covid), by doing bodyweight exercises for like 30-40 minutes late at night at home, including walking and some 8-10 lb weights on occasion. So let me second you on that with much enthusiasm and surprise, lol. Like, the time flies, it's fun and satisfying, less ego and performance and dedication to suffering, only a sense of well-being and success that led to greater discipline and consistency. What??

I used to be a city cyclist and loved it, but those days have also passed, though I just taught my oldest to ride and it brought back fond memories/gave me an itch to go for a ride, but not right now. Nonetheless.
BrazenSolar

Post by BrazenSolar »

Just bought some weights so I'll cancel my gym subscription and save some money. I swear by cycling just for the mental effects. Going fast centres me very much, if I go for an hour or two bike ride I come back probably the closest thing I ever am to my ideal self. And you can use it to go places! Like the shops.

One day I fantasize about building a boat and going rowing in the canal.
----------------------------
nomadwarp

Post by nomadwarp »

All my exercise is because I have to go to work and then work. I don't drive so I bike to bus stops and from bus stops to work. I do a stupid amount of commuting. Then at work I stand the whole time and use my arms. There's some weights sitting under my computer desk but I'm usually too tired to use them.
MisterObjectivity3

Post by MisterObjectivity3 »

I lift weights in my apartment and bike to work. If I cut frozen pizzas out of my diet and consistently lift I can reliably shed my gut. I got an induction wok to stir fry healthy healthy frozen vegetables and it's a blast so I hope that counts as a fitness hobby.
birdenjoyer

Post by birdenjoyer »

About 9 months ago I got serious about (what I guess you would call power) walking. Invested in a cheap (under $200) walking pad, cut down on (but did not eliminate ) alcohol and junk food and I was able to shed 17 pounds. Now I’m getting a membership to the YMCA and I just bought an E-bike to motivate myself to work out more. I could probably shed even more weight if I quit drinking altogether but I do enjoy a drink at the end of the night.

EDIT: a bit more detail. I usually get at least 10,000 steps a day and with how hot it’s been outside lately, I am easily able to walk indoors for about 3-4 miles. Usually my speed is at 4.5-4.7 mph since the walking pad only goes up to 5 mph. Still, it’s been a godsend and worth the money.
𓅃 I have made it my personal vendetta to never use Windows ever again, and you should too. 𓅃
yahshoor

Post by yahshoor »

I got a part-time job at FedEx as a package handler.

not a hobby, strictly speaking, but ngl it's kind of awesome

I get to pick which days I go to the gym... but I don't get to pick how long I stay at the gym, or what exercises I'm doing. In fact, there's basically only one workout you can do at the FedEx gym: the one I like to call "Combat Tetris." In this game, a steep ramp sends an intermittent stream of heavy boxes from behind you, and you have to use 'em to build Tetris walls that are eight feet tall inside a trailer that is a dry sauna inside, because it's been sitting in the heat all day long. If you build poorly, the wall collapses on you and you Lose A Life. If you don't build fast enough, then the steep ramp buries you in a jumbled tsunami of boxes and you Lose A LIfe. If you don't drink enough water, you Lose A Life.

I've lost 18 pounds in 30 days. My posture has changed; turns out the muscles that keep you from slouching are the same ones that you use to stack boxes full of air-conditioners or trampolines. Also, instead of you paying like $100 a month to lift heavy shit, they pay you $21 an hour to lift heavy shit.

Also, what the hell kinda gym hands out free Sno-Cones? Or those grown-up knock-off electrolyte Otter Pops?
Space Lamb

Post by Space Lamb »

I ride a stationary bike & do cheesy 1980s aerobics from vhs rips off youtube. Those are beyond fun. I'm also getting back into dancing & light weight lifting.